13. PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
Maintaining your motivation can be applied to any area of stress response. By combining the creative ACT process with the motivational formula, every piece of the stress puzzle is accessible to you.
(1) RESPONSE (2) TECHNIQUES & SKILLS (3) POSSIBLE OUTCOMES on the following 6 areas: Physical, Behavioral, Mental, Emotional, Social & Spiritual.
A. PHYSICAL RESPONSE
(1) TECHNIQUES & SKILLS: Deep breathing, Muscle relaxation, hot bath, Aerobic exercise & strength conditioning, Weight management, Regular sleep habits, Smoking cessation, and Moderate caffeine & alcohol use.
(2) POSSIBLE OUTCOMES: Improved physical health & resistance to disease; increased sensitivity to natural physical cues.
B. BEHAVIORAL RESPONSE
(1) TECHNIQUES & SKILLS: Coping skills training, Time management / planning, Stress inoculation training, Reading, meditation & prayer, Financial management skills, and Procrastination avoidance.
(2) POSSIBLE OUTCOMES: Enhanced coping & skill development; increased flexibility & adaptability.
C. MENTAL RESPONSE
(1) TECHNIQUES & SKILLS: ACT formula, Decrease in stress-producing thoughts / use of positive & practical self-talk, Pragmatic, creative solutions, Out-of-the-box thinking, Tolerance for what we can’t control.
(2) POSSIBLE OUTCOMES: Improved mental health & enhanced resilience against future stressors; improved sense of control, competence & hardiness.
D. EMOTIONAL RESPONSE
(1) TECHNIQUES & SKILLS: Habit of acknowledging feelings, Establishment of safe venue for expressing & understanding feelings (talking, writing) – avoid venting just to vent.
(2) POSSIBLE OUTCOME: Enhanced ability to choose actions to alleviate the duration & intensity of negative moods; increased sense of emotional balance.
E. SOCIAL RESPONSE
(1) TECHNIQUES & SKILLS: Communication skills, Conflict resolution, Assertiveness training, Relationship building, and Community activities.
(2) Greater interpersonal effectiveness; more satisfying work relationships; deeper intimacy in personal relationships.
F. SPIRITUAL RESPONSE
(1) TECHNIQUES & SKILLS: Personal mission statement, Participation in community of faith or spiritual organization, Retreat & renewal activities, Identification of values & life perspectives.
(2) POSSIBLE OUTCOMES: Heightened sense of purpose, commitment; peace of mind; enhanced creativity, curiosity, & playfulness.